Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Overdressed

I am notorious for being overdressed for most every occasion, and have been since I was old enough to pick my own clothes. But when my style crisis began, my over-dressiness started to feel awkward. I got tired of being asked why I was so dressed up, and I didn't like the possibility that I might be perceived as snobby or weird for being dressy. I was developing major insecurities and worrying too much about the possible opinions of the rest of the world. Maybe I needed to shake off such ridiculous concerns, and just be my happy, shiny self. You know, skip back out into the world in whatever frock I heard calling my name. But I recently rediscovered how much enjoyment I get out of taking risks and being bolder with what I wear. I think standing out solely for the purpose of standing out may be a little ridiculous, but if you happen to live in the hippie capital of the universe and still yearn to dress like a nautical New England princess, then do it in spite of standing out. Life is short, or so I've heard, so why not dress in a way that makes you feel joyful and honest?  *insert inspirational quote about being yourself* The Farmers Market would have to accept me as I am. And it did! 
_________________________________________


Can you tell I'm not actually shopping for lettuce? 





Okay, let me tell you a story. This vegetable stand was adorable, and it obviously demanded that I take pictures in front of it (duh). But I felt bad just standing there posing, ignoring the different varieties of kale and other leafy greens, so I picked up a head of chard and then I had no choice but to buy it, knowing fully well it will probably sit in my fridge, get rotten and gross, and I will discover it weeks too late, I'll feel the crippling guilt and shame over it for months, and my fridge will smell like rotten chard and I won't want to have guests over or even open the fridge to just grab something like an apple or a nectarine, and eventually I will have ruined all relationships and I'll be alone forever in my smelly chard apartment riddled with guilt and loneliness until I die. So while I'm prophesizing my waste of food and money, at this exact moment, every person ever decided to walk by this particular stand I had chosen, and snicker at the girl wearing heels and posing with a doomed head of chard. These photos pretty much cost me $2.75 and bruised my ego. 
 As I mentioned in a previous post my obsession with initial pendants is alive and real. 

Oh, yeah--I think I'm supposed to talk about what I'm wearing. Now would probably be a good time to mention that I've been working at Banana Republic since June of 2015. As a result of working in retail for a company, roughly 90% of my clothing is from the brand. It's very hard to resist when you're staring at it all day and telling everyone how great they look in it--just kidding!!!--you totally do!!! I am particularly obsessed (drink every time I say obsessed or use parentheses) with this top. It was one of those purchases that kind of inspired me to change my aesthetic, and put an end to my sad leggings and t-shirt uniform. This shirt is surprisingly comfortable and easy to dress up or down (obviously my favorite attribute a garment can possess). It definitely makes me feel girly and nautical and grown up-- all things I am striving for in life as of late, minus the nautical. I can't forget about the jeans though, these jeans, wow, where do I begin? I'm going to start with a disclaimer that I am not just trying to promote my brand, and I don't just wear them because I get them at a discount. I was never a jeans person before working at Banana, (except when I was a 12-year-old skater chick without a skateboard), but now I own upwards of 10 pairs of "our" jeans. I want to live in them. On a boat. If you like stretchy, but still fitted skinny jeans, then look no further than BR. 



Insider secret. I only put on one earring this morning.

Not much to say about these shoes except for they give me Disney princess vibes and are surprisingly comfortable for being less than $20 and from Forever 21. 


_________________________________________


Top & Jeans: Banana Republic,   Shoes: Forever 21,  Necklace: Francesca's 

No comments:

Post a Comment